Dec 14, 2014

It's A Haul Y'all! - Aldi


Hey there!!

I've been laid up for the past few days. I hate being laid up. I always feel that I have so much that needs to be done but every now and then my body shows me who's boss and says, "Girl sit your tail down somewhere!". I didn't have a choice this time. I sat down.

But, before I say down, I went to an Aldi grocery store a few miles away from my normal one and stocked up on some needs. Now, I use to always forget that Aldi even existed. I'd see it and go right past the store. But, so many good people on YouTube talk about how fabulous Aldi is (and it is!), I now remember to go in and join the "in" crowd.

They do have quite a few staples that I enjoy as a part of my normal Aldi shopping routine, now that I go every week or so. You see those Fit & Active Cheddar Cheese Rice Snacks ($1.99)? That bag will go to work and when I am feeling peckish, I will pull out 5 or 6 of them and munch away. The Friendly Farms Vanilla Caramel coffee creamer ($2.19) has become my go to flavor recently. It tastes as good as the name brand but it's cheaper. It's even cheaper than the Wally World brand!

The Millville Fruity Rice is one of the cereals that I grab for the kiddo (okay, okay! I eat them too!). This one is $1.79 as compared to the name brand at $2.58 and even the Wally World brand at $2.48. They all taste the same to me and the kiddo has never complained.

I also like Aldi produce. They have a full produce section with all of the things I need. Green onions, multi colored peppers, potatoes, different varieties of squash, etc. I use to think that I needed a grocery store with a TON of vegetables to choose from. Then I realized I only look at those other things. I don't actually buy them. Now I just go to Aldi for normal, everyday things and I'll branch out to other stores if I need to. This week I only needed baby bella mushrooms ($1.79) and sweet butter lettuce ($1.99).

I picked up 4 different cans of canned fruit. I know that may be a bit controversial but, I can't eat fresh peaches, pears, apples, cherries, etc. I don't know why, but after the kiddo was born I tried to eat a peach and my lips turned inside out and my throat swelled. I've tested the waters over the years with different fruit and I still get the same reaction. But, I can eat cooked fruit and canned fruit has been cooked. So, I can get my fruit by purchasing the canned fruit. Aldi has them for $.89, which is only savings of about $.10 or $.15 cents but it adds up, you know.

I also use their tissue ($4.99 for a 12 count double roll). I'm particular about my "behind tissue" and oddly enough, this one makes the cut.

Their coffees for the Keurig machine work well. I just wish they had a decaf selection but for $4.79, I'll take it. The unsalted butter was $2.29 (I can't tell a difference) and their pure vanilla was $1.99.

The kiddo tried the Bremer Frozen Garlic Chicken and veggies ($2.99) and she liked it just as good as the Birds Eye Voila Frozen Garlic Chicken and veggies. I also picked up that box of Priano Four Cheese Risotto because it was on sale for $.69! Can you believe it? Me neither. Not sure how it will taste but even if it sucks, it was only $.69.

SO my cash register total was $32.33. Had I gone to my normally Wally World, it would have run me $43.59. That's more than 25% savings! If that doesn't excite you, I don't know what will!!


I like shopping at Aldi and plan to make it a part of my savings plan. Have you ever been? What do you think of the selection? 

No comments:

Post a Comment