May 6, 2014

A Bit Of Chit Chat - Eye Issues

Photo Credit; http://www.eyeplastics.com/91-Blepharitis/ - Webside is VERY helpful and gave me a lot of information!

Hey folks! How's your day??

So, I've mentioned a few times that I've had some eye crud for the past 2 months or so. Not to be too gross, I thought I had pink eye because the symptoms seemed to fit, but the first two doctors assured me that wasn't the case. They said it was irritation but I'd have to go to the ophthalmologist to pin it down. I've been to three different doctors now and someone has finally diagnosed what's really going on.

After having my eyes numbed 4 times, countless drops and things stuck in my eyes, measuring eyeball size, cornea thickness, blah blah blah, I have a diagnosis. I have Blepharitis. When my doctor told me that I said she was making that word up. But, according to WebMD (and isn't that were we always go first?) Blepharitis is "an inflammation of the eyelids, usually caused by...blockage of the eyelid's oil glands and occasionally allergies". Mine however, affects my lash line and not my eyelids.

Well, I'm glad to know what's causing my eyes issues for the past 2 1/2 months. The whole eye issue was kinda frightening for me because the questions they ask you in each appointment are scary and make you think your eyes are going to fall out the socket. And of course, they feel like they are going to fall out the socket.

So without going in too deep, after my pupils went back to normal size and I did my very warm compress for 10 minutes and eyelash wash for the evening, I began looking up "can I wear eye makeup with Blepharitis?" because I'm a totally lame-o but a vain lame-o.

I discovered that I can wear eye makeup but there are some restrictions.

DISCLAIMER - Folks, I am not a doctor. I don't even play one on TV. I've never even dated a doctor (shocker, yeah, I know)! This information is from research that I did and the conclusion that I came to. This is what currently works for me and of course, I'll update you when I make any changes. Talk to your doctor and see what works for you.

Now that that is out the way...I learned that I have to use a new eye makeup brush EVERY SINGLE DAY. Well, that's not hard and it means new eye brushes and I should probably get that special brush washing tree (shopping!!! because the doctor said so -- kinda). I shouldn't tightline or wear eyeliner in my waterline every day. I will probably stay away from liner except for very short periods during very special occasions. That's wax (or whatever) right on the lash line -- probably not a good idea. I will use a good eyelid primer and when I apply makeup, it will be further up my lid. That may look crazy but we will see if it works. I won't wear mascara (except for short periods of time on special occasions) because that is the area that needs to breathe. And of course, I will remove my eye makeup COMPLETELY each night. There will be no exceptions people.

I already wash my hands like a beast, use a new towel for each eye wash, all that good stuff. I don't touch my eyes with my fingers and I sleep on a towel and toss it in the wash each morning. All of those good hygiene practices should control my Blepharitis.

Again, this is a learning curve for me. Maybe in a few months I can add things back to my routing. Or, I may discover that I should take a thing or two away. We'll find out together.

And if you have any ideas, questions, suggestions, please feel free to comment. You may know something that I don't know or maybe we can find out something together.

The title is make it up as you go. We are doing that title proud!



*referenced - http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/blepharitis

No comments:

Post a Comment